North London

Collection by John Gill • Last updated 6 days ago

196 
Pins
 • 
94 
Followers
John Gill

The Thames Of Old London

In the midst of life I woke to find myself living in an old house beside Brick Lane in the East End of London

Stoke Newington Church Street, 1953

Description: Front elevations of 111-113 Stoke Newington Church Street including advertising for Walker Bros Fountain Pen Specialists and Waterman’s Ideal Fountain Pen. Date of Execution: 1953 Medium: photograph Collection: LCC Photograph Collection Ref No: SC/PHL/01/409/89/79 For more photographs of Stoke Newington, visit our our image library.

Holloway Road, Nag's Head junction with Marlborough Theatre and Holloway Arcade C1950

A similar shot to some other pictures in this set, but with a clearer view of the arcade, which replaced the Parkhurst Theatre - see next picture in this set. N.B This picture is part of a set looking at the Holloway Road, from Archway to Highbury Corner. To see a disappeared world of horse trams, electric trams, trolleybuses, cinemas, theatres, fashions and architecture, click this link.... www.flickr.com/photos/warsaw1948/sets/72157626135089492/

Sun goes down on Walthamstow Greyhound track

It's the dogs. Flickering neon from a striking art deco building announces proudly this is Walthamstow.

Archway Road & Highgate Hill, C1890 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Archway Road & Highgate Hill, C1890

The first picture in this set shows the Archway Tavern, with Highgate Hill to its left and Archway Road to the right. This is the turn of the century, before electrification, with 4 or 5 horse drawn trams making up the majority of road traffic. The tram depot, with stables, was located in the Holloway Road at Elthorne Road - an original entrance, still with cobbles and tracks can be seen later on in this album. N.B This picture is part of a set looking at the Holloway Road, from Archway to…

Muswell Hill, The Broadway c.1965

Photo of Muswell Hill, The Broadway c.1965

1905 - The New River from Park Lane Bridge, Park Lane (renamed Clissold Crescent in 1937), Stoke Newington. History of Stokey (@HistoryOfStokey)

Stoke Newington History (@HistoryOfStokey)

1905 - The New River from Park Lane Bridge, Park Lane (renamed Clissold Crescent in 1937), Stoke Newington. History of Stokey (@HistoryOfStokey)

Alan Russell on Twitter

“Nags Head at the junction of Holloway Road and Seven Sisters Road, Islington 1905”

Finsbury Park, Seven Sisters Road & St Thomas's Road looking east C1930's

A Feltham tram on route 21, bound for Holborn approaches the cameraman, who is standing just under the railway bridge. N.B If you're viewing this picture in photostream, you may miss many of the items in the Finsbury Park album. To see the photos in sequence, showing the area in the 20th century, click the following link www.flickr.com/photos/warsaw1948/sets/72157626005913574/

Stamford Hill 1978

Stephens of Stoke Newington, the department store on the corner of Northwold Road, closed in the early 1970s.

1912 - Clissold Park, Stoke Newington

Twitter. It's what's happening.

1912 - Clissold Park, Stoke Newington

Flickriver: kencta's photos tagged with finsburypark

Flickriver - view images as a 'river of photos' and more...