Deir el-Medina Workmen’s Village
The demise of the workmen’s village came about at the end of Dynasty XX during a period of turmoil and civil war and the inhabitants were moved into a new village within the walls of nearby Medinet Habu in order to protect them from Libyan attack. The village of Deir el-Medina was abandoned to the desert and only the temples and shrines continued to be visited. By the end of Dynasty XX the remaining workmen were under the ‘protection’ of the high priests of Amun at Medinet Habu.
In the Beginning
Egyptian Queen Hetepheres bed and furnishings Above, a full-scale reconstruction (the original was gold plated wood) of the bed canopy and furnishings of Queen Hetepheres, 2500 BCE. Archeological fragments suggest the canopy was hung with linen drapery stored in the “curtain box,” foreground. Linen draperies protected royal sleepers from insects and provided privacy. The first “room-within-a-room?” Photo: Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
AN EGYPTIAN OBSIDIAN ALABASTRON
AN EGYPTIAN OBSIDIAN ALABASTRON NEW KINGDOM, DYNASTY XVIII-XX, 1550-1070 B.C. Of slender, elegant proportions, the body with rounded shoulders tapering towards the base, on an integral stand with concave sides flaring to the edge of the foot, the cylindrical neck rising to the flat disk rim, the interior well-hollowed 4 5/8 in. (11.7 cm.) high