Last updated 2 years ago
In 1943 Boche-Buster found its way back to Salisbury Plain to fire trials of a new anti-concrete shell. By the end of 1943 all the railways guns had been withdrawn from the Elham Valley and the units were disbanded. Although the anti-invasion guns were to spend long months waiting on the sidelines, if the Germans had crossed the Channel during the winter of 1940-41, their fire-power would have been a most significant factor in the battle that would have followed.
Gustav Railway Gun (" Schwerer Gustav" or "Dora" ). German 80cm ( 31,5 inch) gun, weighed nearly 1,350 tonnes, and could fire shells weighing seven tonnes to a range of 47 km ( 29 miles). The gun was designed in preparation for the Battle of France, but wasnt ready for action at that time. It was later employed in the Soviet Union at the siege of Sevastopol. It was destroyed by the Germans near the end of the war in 1945 to avoid capture by the Red Army.
RailPictures.Net Photo: United States Army N/A at Petersburg, Virginia by Carlos Ferran
Tucked away in a corner of Ft Lee, stands one of the few remaining WWII era Krupp rail guns. Nicknamed "Anzio Annie" by the allies, this K5 was used extensively by the Germans all throughout WWII, first in 1940 for the invasion of France, and later in the war as a defense tool against the American invasion of Italy. It was later captured by the allies after the invasion. The barrel of this gun is at an impressive 280mm, and was capable of launching 550lb shells over 38 miles.