NYS Inebriate Asylum -Gothic Revival structure sits on a hill overlooking Binghamton. Founded by J. E. Turner in 1854, construction began in 1858, completed in 1864. It was the first institution designed to treat alcoholism as a mental disorder. It has dual staircases, stained glass windows & a chapel. In 1879 converted to an Asylum for Chronic Insane. Later known as Binghamton State Hospital & Psychiatric Center. Deterioration of the building facade forced its closure in 1993.