The island of Texel, the Netherlands was an important access and exit route for the ships from towns on the Zuiderzee. To protect this route, William of Orange took the initiative to construct the fort De Schans. De Schans was built around 1574. Fleet admiral Tromp regularly held councils of war here. In 1811, Napoleon paid a visit to De Schans, upon which he had the fort enlarged and reinforced with two adjoining forts.